The Chandler Advantage
The Chandler advantage is rooted in the vast career design-build management experience of its founder on a very wide range and scale from nuclear and fossil power plants to high end residential projects. His work was uniquely informed when called to manage the workout of stalled projects in the U.S. and overseas. Of particular note was the workout for Travelers as a surety for 22 bonded projects of one large contractor spread across the country in aggregate value of $1.4 trillion in 2017
Our talents are uniquely grounded in both education and with “boots on the ground” work in the field that includes architecture, engineering, environmental science and construction. Our experience, skills and expertise “cover the waterfront” on these issues.
Chandler excels in creating unique solutions to challenging projects.
You have our full attention
- We provide specialized service precisely tailored to the needs of our clients
- We believe as stewards for our client we must continually add value. We will be the first to tell you when we cannot
- Our education, experience and training give us a unique holistic project perspective:
The perspective of you as the owner
Your Cost savings
Our service creates value for our clients in management efficiency of complex relationships in the building industry. It allows you, as our client, to keep your attention on the project decisions that advance your business interests, not the energy draining tasks of constant coordination and attention. That alone saves energy and costs. You can remain focused on your core business.
More directly, our clients attest to the fact that our value well exceeds our fees.
High performance energy efficient development can save in two significant ways:
- Incentives can offset project costs by as much as 30% or more
- We can demonstrate 30-50% in ongoing energy savings
It makes common sense to explore these options. Together they provide attractive paybacks:
- Approximately 7% to 11% % increase in building value – see below
- 4% increase in adjusted occupancy rates – see below
- Healthy buildings increase productivity 16% – see below
- Distinct marketing edge
- Being ahead of the curve of new energy and health regulations
Chandler can guide our clients on these paths to bottom line advantages.
Project Delivery Systems
Chandler has a history of creating innovative relationships. We have a vetted list of professionals and resources to make each project a success. We design the project delivery system to suit your needs.
The approach to real estate development: the planning, design and construction of building projects is changing. A new dimension has recently emerged - creating High Performance energy efficient healthy buildings.
Virtually all aspects on traditional industry and business have evolved towards technology based efficiency. We are now engaged in such a transformation in how we produce and adapt buildings. The traditional Design-Bid-Build model does not work so well in this new approach. It takes much more time, is likely to cost more and to provide inferior results.
Energy efficiency and health are increasingly in demand. They are the result of a disciplined process whether or not any rating is sought. Energy savings and a healthy building are best achieved with a Whole Building Science approach .This approach is a holistic view and balance of the relationship of components to create a unity of purpose in the end product that can and should be consistent with good architecture.
The best path to this goal is building a prequalified team of professionals for an Integrated Design Team Process. The team driving this process includes the owner, project manager, architect, engineers and the contractor.
Project Funding has become an essential first step. It now can be achieved in a variety of ways. It is critical that the project is tailored to meet the owner’s financial objectives at the outset to define design objectives. There are also ways that the professional team can be vested in the performance and deliver a Turnkey Project.
The Retrofit of older buildings is particularly well suited to this option.
- We are grounded in the principles and practice of servant leadership
- Our role is to serve those we lead to allow them to maximize their performance to the benefit of our clients
- We do so with humility, integrity, respect and cooperation
- Our approach releases a symbiosis in the project team that creates energy and opportunity
- Human values are the engine for success
- We are often described as the symphony conductor
Energy Efficiency in Building Design and Construction
Buildings are large, long-lasting investments. Efficient buildings provide better social and financial returns.
The construction sector represents 10 percent of world GDP, 10 percent of the workforce, and, in emerging markets, will likely make up 16.7 percent of GDP by 2025. This is a lot of money spent on buildings. These are good, long-term investments, especially because buildings last 40 years or more and construction creates more jobs than other sectoral investments.
Today's tenants understand and are looking for the benefits that LEED-certified spaces have to offer. The new Class A office space is green; lease-up rates for green buildings typically range from average to 20 percent above average.
- Owners of green buildings reported that their ROI improved by 19.2% on average for existing building green projects and 9.9% on average for new projects.
- Operating costs decreased by 13.6% for new construction and 8.5% for existing building projects.
- Building value increased by 10.9% for new construction and 6.8% for existing building projects.
- Increased asset valuation: New green building projects 5%; Green building retrofits 4%.
Increased Productivity and Worker Satisfaction
- Recently conducted scholarly research in the field of behavioral psychology has also found that companies that adopt more rigorous environmental standards are associated with higher labor productivity—an average of 16% higher–than non-green firms.
Better Health Standards for Commercial Building Tenants
- People in the U.S. spend about 90% of their time indoors23. EPA studies indicate indoor levels of pollutants may be up to ten times higher than outdoor levels
- In terms of health care costs, building retrofits which improved the indoor environment of a building resulted in reductions of: communicable respiratory diseases of 9-20%; allergies and asthma of 18-25%; and non-specific health and discomfort effects of 20-50%.
Increased Rental Rates
- A business case study examining the San Diego real estate market showed that the overall vacancy rate for green buildings was 4 percent lower than for non-green properties—11.7 percent, compared to 15.7 percent—and that LEED-certified buildings routinely commanded the highest rents.
- Lux Research’s found that buildings with LEED Gold certification significantly outperformed their peers. In one prominent California example, LEED Gold certification resulted in $4.1 million in higher rental income to a model 80,000 square foot commercial building in Los Angeles.
"ICP creates a standard approach...The protocols will provide the investment community with the confidence that projects will yield actual benefits and results similar to those that were predicted.”
- Andrew Brooks, AEA
The core of the ICP methodology are the ICP Protocols that define a standardized road map of best practices for originating energy retrofits. The ICP Protocols leverage existing and commonly accepted standards such as ASTM-BEPA, ASHRAE Guideline 14, and EVO-IPMVP in conjunction with ICP specified elements, procedures, and documentation based on the various stages of a project life-cycle to create standardized projects with reliable returns.
Church Retrofit - Stamford, Connecticut
Apartment Retrofit - Berkeley, California
OIC of New London
542 Westport Avenue Shopping Plaza